One of the major events held in commemoration of Dr. V’s birth centenary was the establishment of Aravind-Chennai in September 2017. The largest among all Aravind Eye Hospitals, Aravind-Chennai is a modern facility equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment equipment. The facility also houses a section exclusively for the underprivileged, offering services for free or at steeply subsidised rates.
The physical environment and infrastructure developed at Aravind-Chennai, is a reflection of the values for which the organisation stand for – transparency, integrity, and compassionate care. The facility will serve as a centre of excellence in eye care service delivery, training eye care professionals and disseminating the latest and best practices in eye care.
The problem of avoidable blindness rapidly escalating remained a major cause of concern in the Indian healthcare scenario. In a developing country like India, the government alone cannot meet the health needs of all owing to a number of challenges like growing population, inadequate infrastructure, low per capita income, aging population, diseases in epidemic proportions and illiteracy.
Realizing this, Dr. Venkataswamy wished to establish an alternate health care model that could supplement the efforts of the government and also be self-supporting. Following his retirement at age 58 in 1976, he established the GOVEL Trust under which Aravind Eye Hospitals were founded.
The hospitals are named after Sri Aurobindo, one of the 20th century’s most revered spiritual leaders. In essence, Sri Aurobindo’s teachings insist on transcendence into a heightened state of consciousness and becoming better instruments for the divine force to work through.
In an eleven-bed hospital manned by 4 medical officers, Dr.V saw the potential for what is today, one of the largest facilities in the world for eye care. Over the years, this organisation has evolved into a sophisticated system dedicated to compassionate service for sight.
- Refractive errors
- Retinal Diseases
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Macular Degeneration
- Retinal Detachment
- Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Vein Occlusions
- Intravitreal Injections
- Laser Treatment (Photocoagulation)
- Eye Care for Children
- Allergic Conjunctivitis
- Childhood Cataracts
- Lazy Eye (Amblyopia)
- Paediatric Refractive Errors
- Patch Therapy
- Adult Cataract
- Childhood Cataracts
- Corneal Diseases
- Cornea Transplantation
- Corneal Ulcer (Keratitis)
- Dry Eye
- Low Vision
- Blocked Tear Ducts
- Eyelid Drooping (Ptosis)
- Eyelid Skin Cancer
- Thyroid Eye Disease
- Prosthetic Eye (Artificial eye)
Awards & Recognitions
- One among 100 most influential people in the world by time magazine
- Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize by the Hilton Foundation in April 2010
- Gates Award for Global Health by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in July 2008
- Antonio Champalimaud Science Award by the Champalimaud Foundation in June 2007
- Padmasri Award to Dr. PN
- Padmasri Award to Dr. V
- National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH)
- Central Government
- BSNL – Karaikudi
- BSNL – Madurai
- BSNL – Trichy
- BSNL – Virudhunagar
- ECHS – RC – Coimbatore
- Heavy Water Plant
- Indian Institute Of Astrophysics
- Liquid Propulsion System Centre
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd
- Voc Port Trust
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Airport Authority of India
- Third Party Administrators (TPA)
- Dedicated Healthcare Services TPA (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Family Health Plan TPA Ltd.
- Good Health TPA Services Limited
- Health India TPA Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Health Insurance TPA Pvt Ltd
- Heritage Health TPA Pvt. Ltd.
- MDINDIA Healthcare Services TPA (P) Ltd.
- Paramount Health Services (TPA) Pvt. Ltd.
- Medi Assist India TPA Pvt. Ltd.
- Medicare Insurance Tpa Service(India) Pvt
- MEDSAVE HEALTH CARE (TPA) LTD
- RAKSHA TPA PVT. LTD.
- United Healthcare Parekh TPA Pvt. Ltd.
- Vidal Health TPA Pvt. Ltd.
- Vipul Medcorp TPA Pvt. Ltd.
- State Government
- CMCHIS – TN (Vidal TPA Ltd.)
- TNNEHIS – AAVIN (MD India TPA Pvt. Ltd.)
- TNNHEIS – Employees (MD India TPA Pvt. Ltd.)
- TNNHIS – Co-Operative (MD India TPA Pvt. Ltd.)
- TNNHIS – Pensioners (MD India TPA Pvt. Ltd.)
- TNSTC – Madurai
- TNSTC – Trichy
- TNSTC – Virudhunagar
- Corporate Companies
- Apollo Munich Health Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co Ltd
- Cholamandalam Ms General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Future Generali India Insurance Co. Ltd.
- HDFC ERGO General Insurance Co. Ltd.