Ramakanta Panda, MCh, is the Chief Consultant for Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery and the Group CEO of the Asian Heart Institute, a speciality cardiac care hospital under the aegis of Asian Hospitals, at the Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai, India.In 2002, he set up India’s famed Asian Heart Institute. Dr.Ramakanta Panda has performed about 28000 successful cardiac surgeries as of 2022 including over 1900 redo bypass surgeries.Conferred the Padma Bhushan in 2010 by the Government of India, Dr.Panda’s incredible 99.8% success rate in bypass surgery is the platinum standard in cardiac surgery across the world. He has repeatedly and successfully operated high risk cardiac cases, sent to him from all over the world after being universally regarded as otherwise inoperable. He has performed more than 5000 extremely high-risk surgeries as of 2022.Dr Panda is also called 'one of the safest heart surgeons in the world and 'the 'surgeon with the safest hands'. Medgate Today honored Dr. Panda as the No 1 heart surgeon and one of the 25 living legends in the healthcare of India. In 2009, he led the team that successfully operated on the then Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh. This was followed by highly complex surgeries on several leaders of Indian politics, such as Lalu Prasad Yadav, Tarun Gogoi, Narasingha Mishra, D Raja, Rajiv Shukla and many others. Hollywood, Bollywood and the thespians of corporate India trust only his hands when it comes to open heart surgery. He holds the world record for performing a 12-graft procedure in a man with 17 blocks in 2014. He is recognized for pioneering many techniques in cardiac surgery. Largely a very humble man known for his philanthropy and mild-manners, Dr Panda is respected for his ethics. He is a crusader against the cut-practice and other malpractices that ail certain pockets of the healthcare system in India. Despite his reputation and his accomplishments, Dr. Ramakanta Panda is a quiet, unassuming person with great love for wildlife photography. His CSR work in Bandhavgarh National Park and Kanha National Park are well known. For all his stellar achievements, he has had incredibly humble beginnings. Born in the Damodarpur village of Jajpur district in Orissa, in 1954, he is the son of a farmer who has proved that perseverance and persistence can fulfill the most ordinary persons’ dreams.
Ramakanta Panda, MCh, is the Chief Consultant for Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery and the Group CEO of the Asian Heart Institute, a speciality cardiac care hospital under the aegis of Asian Hospitals, at the Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai, India.In 2002, he set up India’s famed Asian Heart Institute. Dr.Ramakanta Panda has performed about 28000 successful cardiac surgeries as of 2022 including […]
- Trained in cardiac surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Completed his fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic, USA, under Dr. Floyd Loop - pioneer of Bypass surgery, followed by two years as an Associate Staff.
- Sr. Registrar at the Harefield Hospital, in the United Kingdom, training under Professor Magdi Yacoub, considered one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the world.
- 44 Years' Experience
- Considered the best heart surgeon in India, Dr. Panda has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeries including over 1,000 Redo Bypass Surgeries and over 3,000 high risk surgeries.
- He has specialized in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting using only arterial grafts, beating heart surgery, redo bypass surgery, valve repair, complex aneurysms.
- He is one of the safest heart surgeons in the world with a 99.7% success rate in bypass surgery.
- Cardiac Surgeon
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeon
- Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Areas of Expertise
- Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery
Awards & Recognitions
- Credited and recognized amongst his peers as the first in the country to introduce the concept of 'Total Arterial Revascularization', as well as being one of the pioneers of "off-pump" bypass surgery, redo bypass surgery, and high risk surgery.
- Under his leadership,Asian Heart Institutehas established itself as the Best Heart Hospital in India in 2011, 2012, and 2014, as well as the highest accredited hospital with JCI, ISO and NIAHO accreditations.
- Honoured with the Padma Bhushan - India's third highest civilian award.
- Conferred the Utkal Ratna in 2015.
- Conferred with Degree of Doctorate in Science (Honorius Causa) from Utkal University, Orissa.
- Awarded the prestigious RashtriyaSamman for being one of the highest taxpayers during the assessment years 1994-95 to 1998-99, by the Central Board of Taxes, Government of India.
- Set up the Sarla Madan Charitable Trust in Orissa, the Asian Heart Charitable Trust, and helped hundreds of economically handicapped patients.
- Padma Bhushan Award - 2010
- Degree of Doctorate in Science (Honorius Causa) from Utkal University, Orissa
- Central Board of Taxes, Government of India, has awarded him the prestigious Rashtriya Samman Patra twice, for being one of the highest taxpayers in India