Located in Chennai, Sankara Nethralaya is a non-profit, charitable eye hospital providing world-class services to people since 1978. It is the first hospital in Asia to get ISO 9002 certification. Sankara Nethralaya has been adjudged as the ‘Best Medical Tourism Hospital’ in the ‘Tamil Nadu Tourism Awards 2018′. The Hindu Group Publishing Pvt Ltd, among the nation’s oldest and highly prestigious media houses honoured Sankara Nethralaya as one of the 21 healthcare institutions in the State and its Founder Dr SS.Badrinath for their service to society.
All patients receive the same care at our hospitals. Trained and dedicated professionals with ready access to state-of-the art ophthalmic infrastructure render high quality eye care without bias to both the paying and the poor and needy patients.
We ensure consistent quality by earnestly following systems and procedures meticulously and are the FIRST ISO 9002 certified Eye Hospital in Asia. We have also introduced Total Quality Management (TQM) policies and have been recently audited by BVQI who have recommended re-certification to us.
The main hospital, the Jagadguru Kanchi Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Nethra Nilayam (JKCN Complex) and the CU Shah Sankara Nethralaya enjoy NABH accreditation, the highest recognition in the health care sector.
Thanks to innovative information technology devices, the expertise of Sankara Nethralaya is available to a large section of society. Its innovative telemedicine approach ensures the availability of basic eye care all over Tamil Nadu. We shall continue to practice "non-commercial" medicine. We shall propagate and practice 'institutional practice' - as it results in scientific practice and inculcates 'teamwork', shared responsibility and optimum utilization of available resources. We believe that collective functioning yields better results. We shall offer education that sharpens the analytical skills of the mind, builds character and cultivates responsibility and accountability in each individual for his or her work.
The concepts of Nethralaya are unique. Describing it as a “Privatized public sector" would be apt. But perhaps the best description of Sankara Nethralaya would be the "Physical perception of a Divine will".
- Cataract Surgery
- Community Ophthalmology
- Refractive Surgery
- Neuro Ophthalmology
- Ocular Oncology
- Oculoplasty & Orbit
- Paediatric Ophthalmology
Awards & Recognitions
- Dr. V. V. Jaichandran, Dept. of Anesthesiology, Receives BEST INNOVATION’22 Award
- Sankara Nethralaya Bags Netra Samrakshak Award (Legendary Institution for Community Services)
- Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (ISA) honours Dr. Jaichandran V. V.
- Dr. TSS receives Charaka Award in recognition of his dedication to Pediatric Opthalmology
- Newsweek announces Sankara Nethralaya one of the World’s Best Hospitals 2022
- The Economic Times Healthcare Awards 2021 awarded in Best Hospital – Ophthalmology – National category.
- Sankara Nethralaya wins The Economic Times Healthcare “Best Hospital – Ophthalmology (National)” Award
- Newsweek ranks us as one of the Best Ophthalmic Centers 2021
- Prestigious survey by leading international magazine rates Sankara Nethralaya among the
- “Best 4 Ophthalmic institutions in the World”
- Sankara Nethralaya’s eye bank wins highest accreditation in its field!
- National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH)
- National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL)
- Chennai International Airport, Distance: 17 KMs | Time: 40 Minutes
- Metro | Distance: 3 KMs | Time: 9 Minutes